If you are a student, individual developer or a small Web agency and comfortable with the AGPL v3 license, then using the product for free, as open source, is likely to be your best option.
- Community support is available by opening a Github issue or on Stackoverflow.
- You can also chat on Gitter or join our Facebook community.
- The source code is published on its GitHub repository.
When a company is not comfortable with the AGPL open source license or need dedicated technical support, then it could purchase a RESTHeart Subscription, which comes with:
- Perpetual, business-friendly Enterprise license with optional custom terms.
- 12 months of technical support.
- 12 months of supported upgrades to any new release of the product.
- Training (optional).
- Professional Services (optional).
The Enterprise license is perpetual and overcomes some limitations of the AGPL v3. Specifically, it grants the following rights:
- Use RESTHeart in closed source applications.
- Distribute RESTHeart embedded in closed source products.
- Get coverage against some legal risks, like third-parties IP claims.
While the Enterprise license is perpetual, the subscription is annual and has to be explicitly renewed.
Subscription’s levels depends on specific deployment needs. The below table illustrates a summary of usual levels:
|Subscription Level||RESTHeart’s instances||Deployment scenario|
|Single||1||Single node, no HA requirements.|
|Cluster||3||Active/Active HA with up to 3 nodes.|
|Unlimited||Unlimited, dynamic||Elastic clusters, like Kubernetes or ECS.|
|OEM||To be estimated||Redistribute RESTHeart embedded in closed source products.|
Only production instances matter: dev, test or other environments are free.
How many subscriptions do I need to buy?
It’s simple: buy one RESTHeart subscription for each MongoDB production instance you want to connect to. So, with one annual subscription you get a single license that allows your company to:
- Run unlimited RESTHeart instances, connected to any number of non-production database instances (dev, test, staging, …).
- Run a single RESTHeart instance, connected to one database production instance at a time.
Custom Subscriptions containing multiple licenses for multiple database production instances are available upon request.
If you have questions about use cases, support options, professional services or commercial licenses you can also book a free video call with us.
Note: if you need technical help but don’t have purchased a paid subscription from us then please refer to the above Free support section.